We understand the banking system as a catalyst for the flow of money in society (savings, financing, investment, and so on), and we are aware of the fact that it has an effect on a territory's economic and social development. However, we want to go beyond that function and, as the leading bank on the Spanish market, we take on the responsibility of driving a positive economy aimed at the well-being of people.
With this aim in mind, we have designed a new Sustainable Banking Plan with a 3-year time horizon that includes our proposal for solving challenges, such as inequality, climate change and boosting the real economy. All this while putting at the service of people what we know how to do: banking.
To that end, we are going to allocate more than €64 billion to financing mainly energy transition initiatives and providing microloans to students, self-employed workers, microenterprises, families and new companies that create employment. Via these sustainable financing mechanisms and other programmes and partnerships -social rent, financial culture, volunteer work...-, we want to generate a positive impact on society.
We are committed to demonstrating, through actions, the social value of banking and becoming the benchmark bank in sustainability.
Learn about our model by accessing the presentation "CaixaBank, Sustainable Banking ".
To fulfil CaixaBank’s commitment to society, our plan is based on three ambitions:
To promote the sustainable transition of companies and society
To lead positive social impacts and promote financial inclusion
To foster a responsible culture as a benchmark in governance
Through active listening and dialogue, a rigorous methodology for measurement and data management, and an ESG communication strategy for raising external and internal awareness, we pursue our sustainability goals through eleven strategic lines:
Culture focusing on people
Integrating ESG in the bank
Transparency and accountability
Benchmark in regulatory standards
Integrating ESG risks
Social leadership and alliances to multiply people's opportunities
Leadership in microfinance
Promoting employment and entrepreneurship
With the Sustainable Banking Plan as a guide, we intend to achieve the following targets over the next three years:
Until June 2023:
€39,687 million mobilised
62 % commitment achieved
Calculated from results obtained in S&P Global-DJSI, Sustainalytics, MSCI and ISS ESG
Until June 2023:
169,461 MicroBank beneficiaries
41% commitment achieved
Women in managerial positions in June 2023
(1) Mobilisation of sustainable financing is the aggregate sum of the following items:
(2) Synthetic ESG index created by CaixaBank based on methodology developed by KPMG that provides aggregate information from the main ESG analysis institutions. The indicator objectively weights the results obtained by the company in the scores awarded by the main international ESG analysts (S & P Global, Sustainalytics, MSCI and ISS ESG).
(3) Value considering scope 1 emissions from customers and parts of the value chain within the target setting perimeter.
(4) Value considering scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions from customers and parts of the value chain within the target setting perimeter.
(5) Scope 3 emissions, category 11 are covered: tank-to-wheel.
(6) €213 Mn considering mitigating factors. Mitigating factors are considered to be phase-out commitments <= 2030 or renewable financing only.
More information in the Environmental and climate strategy.
(7) Number of holders and co-holders of microloans granted by MicroBank in the 2022-2024 period.
(8) % of women in managerial positions from large branch deputy management upward (A and B branches). In 2023, the target initially set for 2024 has been updated from 42% to 43% with the update oth the Equality Plan.
The Sustainable Banking Plan includes the Environmental Management Plan to reduce the direct impact of our activity, which also has specific objectives.
Through our activities and strategic alliances, we contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Learn about the SDGs to which CaixaBank contributed in 2022 in the publication on Sustainability and Socio-Economic Impact 2022 .